- AIDS: Rise of Killer Virus. Documentary Television, November 30, 2014
- HIV & Ebola & the Zoonoses Wars: The Other Ecological Crisis. CounterPunch, November 21-23, 2014.
- Ambitious new documentary, airing on World AIDS Day, will trace origins of HIV. 429magazine, November 26, 2014
- The Ritual of Beheading: A History of Political Terror. CounterPunch, November 21-23, 2014.
- Sex Toy Industry Has Quietly Turned Into Multi-Billion-Dollar Business. AlterNet, November 18, 2014.
- Point of No Return?: Gay Marriage and the 2014 Elections. CounterPunch, November 3, 2014.
- Has the U.S. finally reached a tipping point with same-sex marriage? 429magazine, Oct 14, 2014.
- Meet the New Proletariat: The Political Economy of Freelancing. CounterPunch, October 24-26, 2014.
- To See the Bleak Future of U.S. Workers, Look What Happened to an NBC Contractor Covering the Ebola Outbreak, AlterNet, October 12, 2014.
- Thomas Page McBee’s “Man Alive.“ 429magazine, Oct 14, 2014.
- Does Folsom Street Fair signal the death of leather? 429magazine, September 16, 2014
- 5 Scams and Rackets That Can Turn You Into a 21st-Century Indentured Servant, AlterNet, July 2, 2014
- Meet the Rockefellers: American Oligarchs & the Influence They Wield. CounterPunch, May 16-18, 2014.
- Meet the Waltons: American Oligarchs & the Influence They Wield. CounterPunch, May 9-11, 2014.
- Plutocrats v. Oligarchs: America’s Superrich & the Influence They Wield. CounterPunch, May 2-4, 2014.
- Save Net Neutrality: Make the Internet a Common Carrier, CounterPunch, April 25-27, 2014.
- How Much Sexting Do Americans Do? Ask the British Surveillance State. AlterNet, March 21, 2014
- Who’s a Virgin?: The Sexual Practices of Young Americans, CounterPunch, March 21-23, 2014.
- Alienated Bodies: The Boom in Plastic Surgery, CounterPunch, March 7-9, 2014.
- The Five Horsemen of the Cyber Apocalypse, Cyber Defense Magazine, February 2014.
- Incest Panic in America!: Woody Allen and the Oldest Taboo, CounterPunch, February 14-16, 2014.
- Media Consolidation Intensifies: Can the Comcast and Time/Warner Cable Merger be Stopped?, CounterPunch, February 13, 2014.
- The School Broadband Scam: Kids Suffer as Telecoms Profits Soar, CounterPunch, February 7-9, 2014.
- Super Bowl Sex: The Sex Trade and the Crisis of Masculinity, CounterPunch, January 31-February 2, 2014.
- Will 2014 Be the Year That Smartphone Filmmaking Goes Mainstream?, IndieWire, January 29, 2013.
- Privatizing the Public Good: Is This the End of Net Neutrality? CounterPunch, January 15, 2014.
- Obama Disses Digital Promise to U.S. Kids: Broadband to the Classroom. CounterPunch, August 9-11, 2013.
- Trading Flesh for Cash: Inside the Strip Club. AlterNet, August 8, 2013.
- Sex Crime Charade: Why Have Prostitution Arrests Dropped by 50 Percent? CounterPunch, August 2-4, 2013.
- Could Porn Be Censored in America? AlterNet, July 31, 2013
- A Tale of Two Pols: Carlos Danger v. Beau James. CounterPunch, July 26-28, 2013
- The Flesh Trade: Sex Work in America. AlterNet, July 18, 2013.
- The Great Sandy Shell Game: American Telecom Users Will Be the Real Losers. CounterPunch, July 18, 2013.
- New Pornographers Claim Their Work Is Ethical, Feminist and ‘Sex-Positive,’ But Will It Sell? AlterNet, July 4, 2013.
- sex, lies and the great recession: What’s the Sexual Health of the Nation? CounterPunch, June 21-13, 2013.
- Village People, a review of John Strausbaugh’s The Village: 400 Years of Beats and Bohemians, Radicals and Rogues, a History of Greenwich Village. Brooklyn Rail, June 2013.
- Is the Rise of Filthy Gonzo Porn Actually Dangerous, Or Are People Overreacting? AlterNet, June 7, 2013.
- Is Success Killing the Porn Industry? AlterNet, May 27, 2013.
- Regulatory Capture at the FCC: Corporate Corruption and the Special Interest State. CounterPunch, May 24-26, 2013.
- Weiner Redux: Political Rehabilitation & the End of the Culture Wars. CounterPunch, May 23, 2013.
- The Real Gatsby: The One-and-Owney. CounterPunch, May 14, 2013.
- Arresting a Teen Girl for Dozing Off in Class? Why Normal Kid Behavior Is Treated As a Crime or Psychiatric Disorder. AlterNet, May 6, 2013.
- Tribeca Interactive: New Voices in Indie New Media. CounterPunch, AlterNet, April 12-14, 2013.
- How the Women of Good Vibrations and Babeland Have Helped to Liberate Female Orgasms. AlterNet, April 18, 2013.
- Another Internet is Possible: Some Questions for the New FCC Chairperson. CounterPunch, April 5-7, 2013.
- What Academic Freedom?, a review Marjorie Heins, Priests of Our Democracy: The Supreme Court, Academic Freedom and the Anti-Communist Purge, The Brooklyn Rail, April 2013.
- Republicans Rev Up Conservative Cinema, Filmmaker, March 25, 2013.
- Amazon Sells 60,000 Sex Toys and Related Products? Welcome to Sex 4.0. AlterNet, March 22, 2013.
- What the $15 Billion Sex Toy Industry Tells Us About Sexuality Today. AlterNet, March 8, 2013.
- AT&T Wants New Digital Dead Zones, with Bruce Kushnick. Huffington Post, March 7, 2013.
- The Great One, Two Punch: Socialize Costs, Privatize Profits. CounterPunch, March 1-3, 2013.
- The Telecom Crisis: Opium of the 21st Century. CounterPunch, January 25-27, 2013.
- The Body Politic, a review Nancy Cohen’s Delirium: The Politics of Sex in America, The Brooklyn Rail, February 2013.
- End of the Culture Wars?: Is the Christian Right’s Fury Spent for Now?. CounterPunch, January 25-27 , 2013.
- Consumer Beware: You Are Being Tracked. AlterNet, January 17, 2013.
- “Sexual Politics in the Age of Obama,” in Hopeless: Barack Obama and the Politics of Illusion, ed. by Jeffrey St. Clair, AK Press (2012).
- MEDIA CURRENT: News & Analysis for Indie Makers
A column for Filmmaker magazine.
- August 2013: In the Age of Digital Disruption, What is a Movie?
- July 2013: Will “Unbundling” Kill Cable?
- July 2013: Amazon Studios Ups the Ante in the Content Wars
- June 2013: VOD Wars Heat Up
- June 2013: What Indie Filmmakers Need to Know About Mobile Video Viewing
- May 2013: Will Tom Wheeler Kill Net Neutrality?
- April 2013: Just How Healthy Is Independent Film Distribution?
- April 2013: YouTube’s Aggressive Move into Original Content
- March 2013: Republicans Rev Up Conservative Cinema.
- March 2013: Six Strikes and You’re Out.
- February 2013: Opportunities for Indies?
- February 2013: Neutralizing Net Neutrality
- January 2013: Video Streaming & Indies
- January 2013: Will Data Caps Kill Indie Film?
- Pregnant Women Are NOT Incubators: Its Time to End the Right’s War Against Women. CounterPunch, December 28-30, 2012. AUL and ALEC have turned pregnant women into incubators
- The Spy State Tightens its Grip. AlterNet, December 24, 2012. Americans are paying an ever-increasing price to maintain the spy state.
- Ho, Ho, Ho X-Mas Shoppers: Santa as Big Brother. CounterPunch, December 21-23, 2012. This Christmas season, you are probably being tracked when shopping.
- Police Have the Scary Capability to Track Wherever You’re Driving. AlterNet, December 6, 2012. License-plate reading technology’s daw dropping capabilities are already deployed across America.
- Looking Beyond Hurricane Sandy: America’s Failing Telecom Infrastructure. CounterPunch, November 15, 2012. Infrastructure failures due to Hurricane Sandy expose deeper problems of the communications system.
- The Return of Infidelity: The Last Frontier of the Culture Wars? CounterPunch, November 12, 2012. What the extramarital scandals at the CIA and Lockheed Martin tell us about the Christian right’s culture wars.
- How Telecoms Sell Your Private Info to the Highest Bidder. AlterNet, November 8, 2012. Wireless providers are collecting and reselling your usage data — a lot of what they do remains secret.
- Inside the Gulag: Rape in America’s Prisons. CounterPunch, October 12-14, 2012.
Nearly 210,000 prisoners are sexually abused each year in America’s prisons.
- The Unbelievable Ways Schools Are Now Monitoring Children — Even When They’re Eating. AlterNet, October 5, 2012.
The digital tracking and surveillance of school-aged kids is growing.
- Passion, Perversion & Politics: The Folsom Street Fair and the 2012 Election. CounterPunch, October 5-7, 2012.
Today’s alternative “adult” sex scene is a $50 billion industry.
- Is Privacy Dead?: 4 Government and Private Entities Conspiring to Track Everything You Do Online and Off. AlterNet, September 10, 2012.
The police-corporate surveillance “complex” is being consolidated, drawing ever-closer corporate tracking and government surveillance.
- City at War, a review of Steven Jaffe’s New York at War: Four Centuries of Combat, Fear, and Intrigue in Gotham. The Brooklyn Rail, September 2012.
- The New White Slave Trade: The Truth About Sex Trafficking. CounterPunch, August 24-26, 2012.
How accurate is the 100,000-plus estimate of sex trafficking in the U.S.?
- How Privacy in America Went Virtually Extinct in Just a Decade. AlterNet, August 21, 2012.
Unless we challenge the idea the we should concede our rights to protect our privacy, it’ll get even worse.
- Why Our Phone Companies Are Threatened by Big Telecom Privatization, with Bruce Kushnick. AlterNet, July 26, 2012.
Consumers stand to lose big-time if the FCC and its corporate friends get their way.
- The New Police Surveillance State: The Rising Price of Political Assembly. CounterPunch, July 31, 2012.
The coordinated role of federal and local law enforcement in restricting popular protest.
- ALEC, Tech and the Telecom Wars: Killing America’s Telecom Utilities, with Bruce Kushnick. Huffington Post, July 24, 2012.
- What Secrets Is Your Cell Phone Company Telling the Government About You? AlterNet, July 11, 2012.
- Mass Arrests Likely at Political Conventions: 6 Historical Perspectives. AlterNet, July 5, 2012.
Clinton’s law designates political conventions National Special Security Events, a category of state security that virtually dooms the exercise of First Amendment Rights.
- Obama’s Broadband Vision vs. the Communications Trust, with Bruce Kushnick. Huffington Post, June 25, 2012.
- The Other Sex War: Porn, Sex Toys & Consensual Adult Get-Togethers. CounterPunch, June 15-17, 2012.
There is another sex war and lots of people are involved.
- 6 Government Surveillance Programs Designed to What What You Do Online. AlterNet, June 6, 2012.
If you use Facebook, Twitter, et al., the U.S. security state is watching you.
- Deviant Reflections: A Voice of Sexual Freedom, a review of “Deviations, a Gayle Rubin Reader.” The Brooklyn Rail, June 2012.
- America’s Spy State: How the Telecoms Sell Out Your Privacy. AlterNet, May 29, 2012.
Your “private” information is a public commodity, subject to the dictates of the security state and market opportunists.
- The Terrifying Ways Google is Destroying Your Privacy. AlterNet, May 20, 2012.
Google has morphed from “Don’t be evil” to “Join the Borg.”
- Urban Combustion: When Morality & Politics Mix, a review of Richard Zacks’ “Island of Vice: Theodore Roosevelt’s Doomed Quest to Clean Up Sin-Loving New York.” Br0oklyn Rail, May 2012.
- Paying the Price: The Sexual Politics of Poverty. CounterPunch, May 11-13, 2012.
Young girls are paying the biggest price for the ongoing economic crisis.
- Another Prohibition: Uncovering the Real 1920s, a review of Emily Bernard’s Carl Van Vechten & the Harlem Renaissance and Marni Davis’ Jews and Booze. Brooklyn Rail, April 2012.
- Enforcing the Culture Wars: The State as an Instrument of Sexual Repression. CounterPunch, April 13-15, 2012. The culture wars are being fought out at the state level throughout the country.
- We Are All Luddites: Fighting Post-Modern Enclosure. CounterPunch, March 30-April 1, 2012.
This year marks the 200th anniversary of the Luddite uprising.
- The Telecom Scammers’ Latest Ploy to Screw You for More Cash. AlterNet, March 21, 2012.
Fees, surcharges and taxes make wireless companies tons of money.
- Perversion Is No Longer Perverse, a review of Margot Weiss’ Techniques of Pleasure: BDSM and the Circuits of Sexuality. Brooklyn Rail, March 2012.
- Santorum & the New Know-Nothings: The Revival of American Nativism. CounterPunch, March 9, 2012.
Santorum’s appeal is grounded in a deep current of American political history.
- You Are Being Tracked Online: Here Are 5 Ways to Protect Your Privacy. AlterNet, March 7, 2012.
Your personal data is being gobbled up by online service providers.
- Happy Birthday, Mr. President: Sex, Sin & the 2010 Election. CounterPunch, January 16, 2012.
What does the latest revelation of JFK’s extramarital affair tell us about the 2012 election?
- WR: The Wanderings of a Lost Soul, a review of Christopher Turner’s Adventures in the Orgasmatron: How the Sexual Revolution Came to America. Brooklyn Rail, February 2012.
- Telecom Rip-Off: The Hidden Fees in Your Wireless and Phone Bills. AlterNet, January 16, 2012.
The telecom industry is squeezing more money out of customers without delivering any new or improved service.
- Amorality & False Consciousness: The Mass Psychology of Newt Gingrich. CounterPunch, January 27-29, 2012.
Gingrich is the most hypocritical presidential candidate in modern history.
- Sin, Sex & South Carolina: Culture Wars in the 2012 Election. CounterPunch, January 20-22, 2012.
The seamy side of South Carolina’s sexual culture.
- Least We Forget: Mitt Romney, Banker & Pornographer. CounterPunch, January 13-15, 2012.
Romney has effectively remade his past; he’s slippery, no one knows who he is or what he stands for.
- MEDIA CURRENT: News & Analysis for Indie Makers
- A column for Filmmaker magazine.
- December 2012: Internet Alternatives
- December 2012: Murdock’s Media Monopoly
- November 2012: Will Comcast Get Disney?
- November 2012: VOD for Indies
- October 2012: Encrypting Basic TV
- October 2012: Pay to View
- September 2012: Another Web is Possible
- September 2012:The Screen Matters
- August 2012: Google Fiber
- August 2012: What’s Happening, Mr. Jones?
- July 2012: Film Business Shrinking
- July 2012: Cell Phone Policing
- June 2012: Artful Dodgers
- June 2012: Personal Democracy
- May 2012:The New Hollywood
- April 2012:What Privacy
- April 2012: Cable Woes
- April 2012: Hollywood Shuffle
- March 2012:Are You Being Throttled?
- March 2012: Aereo & the New TV Wars
- February 2012: Bruised Apple
- February 2012:Broadband Failure