- AIDS: Rise of Killer Virus. Documentary Television, November 30, 2014
- HIV & Ebola & the Zoonoses Wars: The Other Ecological Crisis. CounterPunch, November 21-23, 2014.
- Ambitious new documentary, airing on World AIDS Day, will trace origins of HIV. 429magazine, November 26, 2014.
- Â The Ritual of Beheading: A History of Political Terror. CounterPunch, November 21-23, 2014.
- Â Sex Toy Industry Has Quietly Turned Into Multi-Billion-Dollar Business. AlterNet, November 18, 2014.
- Point of No Return?: Gay Marriage and the 2014 Elections. CounterPunch, November 3, 2014.
- Â Has the U.S. finally reached a tipping point with same-sex marriage?Â Â 429magazine, Oct 14, 2014.
- Meet the New Proletariat: The Political Economy of Freelancing. CounterPunch, October 24-26, 2014.
- To See the Bleak Future of U.S. Workers, Look What Happened to an NBC Contractor Covering the Ebola Outbreak, AlterNet, October 12, 2014.
- Thomas Page McBee’s “Man Alive.“ 429magazine, Oct 14, 2014.
- Does Folsom Street Fair signal the death of leather? 429magazine, September 16, 2014
- 5 Scams and Rackets That Can Turn You Into a 21st-Century Indentured Servant, AlterNet, July 2, 2014
- Meet the Rockefellers: American Oligarchs & the Influence They Wield. CounterPunch, May 16-18, 2014.
- Meet the Waltons: American Oligarchs & the Influence They Wield. CounterPunch, May 9-11, 2014.
- Plutocrats v. Oligarchs: Americaâ€™s Superrich & the Influence They Wield. CounterPunch, May 2-4, 2014.
- Save Net Neutrality: Make the Internet a Common Carrier, CounterPunch, April 25-27, 2014.
- How Much Sexting Do Americans Do? Ask the British Surveillance State. AlterNet, March 21, 2014
- Who’s a Virgin?: The Sexual Practices of Young Americans, CounterPunch, March 21-23, 2014.
- Alienated Bodies: The Boom in Plastic Surgery, CounterPunch, March 7-9, 2014.
- The Five Horsemen of the Cyber Apocalypse, Cyber Defense Magazine, February 2014.
- Incest Panic in America!: Woody Allen and the Oldest Taboo, CounterPunch, February 14-16, 2014.
- Media Consolidation Intensifies: Can the Comcast and Time/Warner Cable Merger be Stopped?, CounterPunch, February 13, 2014.
- The School Broadband Scam: Kids Suffer as Telecoms Profits Soar, CounterPunch, February 7-9, 2014.
- Super Bowl Sex: The Sex Trade and the Crisis of Masculinity, CounterPunch, January 31-February 2, 2014.
- Will 2014 Be the Year That Smartphone Filmmaking Goes Mainstream?, IndieWire, January 29, 2013.
- Privatizing the Public Good: Is This the End of Net Neutrality? CounterPunch, January 15, 2014.
- Obama Disses Digital Promise to U.S. Kids: Broadband to the Classroom. CounterPunch, August 9-11, 2013.
- Trading Flesh for Cash: Inside the Strip Club.Â AlterNet, August 8, 2013.
- Sex Crime Charade:Â Why Have Prostitution Arrests Dropped by 50 Percent?Â CounterPunch, August 2-4, 2013.
- Could Porn Be Censored in America?Â AlterNet, July 31, 2013
- A Tale of Two Pols: Carlos Danger v. Beau James.Â CounterPunch, July 26-28, 2013
- The Flesh Trade: Sex Work in America.Â AlterNet, July 18, 2013.
- The Great Sandy Shell Game: American Telecom Users Will Be the Real Losers.Â CounterPunch, July 18, 2013.
- New Pornographers Claim Their Work Is Ethical, Feminist and ‘Sex-Positive,’ But Will It Sell?Â AlterNet, July 4, 2013.
- sex, lies and the great recession:Â Whatâ€™s the Sexual Health of the Nation?Â CounterPunch,Â June 21-13, 2013.
- Village People, a review of John Strausbaughâ€™sâ€¨Â The Village: 400 Years of Beats and Bohemians, Radicals and Rogues, a History of Greenwich Village.Â Brooklyn Rail, June 2013.Â
- Is the Rise of Filthy Gonzo Porn Actually Dangerous, Or Are People Overreacting?Â Â AlterNet, June 7, 2013.
- Is Success Killing the Porn Industry?Â AlterNet, May 27, 2013.
- Regulatory Capture at the FCC:Â Corporate Corruption and the Special Interest State.Â CounterPunch,Â Â May 24-26, 2013.
- Weiner Redux:Â Political Rehabilitation & the End of the Culture Wars. CounterPunch, May 23, 2013.
- The Real Gatsby: The One-and-Owney. CounterPunch, MayÂ 14, 2013.
- Arresting a Teen Girl for Dozing Off in Class? Why Normal Kid Behavior Is Treated As a Crime or Psychiatric Disorder.Â Â AlterNet, Â May 6, 2013.
- Tribeca Interactive: New Voices in Indie New Media.Â Â CounterPunch, AlterNet, April 12-14, 2013.
- How the Women of Good Vibrations and Babeland Have Helped to Liberate Female Orgasms.Â AlterNet, April 18, 2013.
- Another Internet is Possible: Some Questions for the New FCC Chairperson.Â CounterPunch, April 5-7, 2013.
- What Academic Freedom?, a reviewÂ Marjorie Heins,â€¨Priests of Our Democracy: The Supreme Court, Academic Freedom and the Anti-Communist Purge, The Brooklyn Rail, April 2013.
- The Body Politic, a review Nancy Cohen’s Delirium: Â The Politics of Sex in America, The Brooklyn Rail, February 2013.
- End of the Culture Wars?: Is the Christian Right’s Fury Spent for Now?. Â CounterPunch, January 25-27 , 2013.
“Sexual Politics in the Age of Obama,” in Hopeless: Â Barack Obama and the Politics of Illusion, ed. Â by Jeffrey St. Clair, AK Press (2012).
- MEDIA CURRENT: News & Analysis for Indie Makers
A column for Filmmaker magazine.
- August 2013: Â In the Age of Digital Disruption, What is a Movie?
- July 2013: Â Will â€œUnbundlingâ€ Kill Cable?
- July 2013: Â Amazon Studios Ups the Ante in the Content Wars
- June 2013: Â VOD Wars Heat Up
- June 2013: Â What Indie Filmmakers Need to Know About Mobile Video Viewing
- May 2013: Â Will Tom Wheeler Kill Net Neutrality?
- April 2013: Â Just How Healthy Is Independent Film Distribution?
- April 2013: Â YouTubeâ€™s Aggressive Move into Original Content
- March 2013: Republicans Rev Up Conservative Cinema.
- March 2013: Â Six Strikes and You’re Out.
- February 2013: Â Opportunities for Indies?
- February 2013:Â Neutralizing Net Neutrality
- January 2013:Â Video Streaming & Indies
- January 2013: Â Will Data Caps Kill Indie Film?
- December 2012: Â Internet Alternatives
- December 2012: Â Murdock’s Media Monopoly
- November 2012: Â Will Comcast Get Disney?
- November 2012: VOD for Indies
- October 2012: Encrypting Basic TV
- October 2012: Pay to View
- September 2012: Another Web is Possible
- September 2012: The Screen Matters
- August 2012: Â Google Fiber
- August 2012: Â What’s Happening, Mr. Jones?
- July 2012: Â Film Business Shrinking
- July 2012: Â Cell Phone Policing
- June 2012: Artful Dodgers
- June 2012:Â Personal Democracy
- May 2012: Is Crowdfunding for You?
- May 2012: The New Hollywood
- April 2012: What Privacy
- April 2012: Cable Woes
- April 2012: Hollywood Shuffle
- March 2012:Â Are You Being Throttled?
- March 2012: Aereo & the New TV Wars
- February 2012: Bruised Apple
- February 2012: Broadband Failure
- January 2012: End to Cross-Ownership Rules?
- Pregnant Women Are NOT Incubators: Its Time to End the Right’s War Against Women. Â CounterPunch, December 28-30, 2012. Â AUL and ALEC have turned pregnant women into incubators
- The Spy Â State Tightens its Grip. Â AlterNet, December 24, 2012.Â Â Americans are paying an ever-increasing price to maintain the spy state.Â
- Ho, Ho, Ho X-Mas Shoppers: Â Santa as Big Brother. Â CounterPunch, December 21-23, 2012.Â Â This Christmas season, you are probably being tracked when shopping.
- Police Have the Scary Capability to Track Wherever You’re Driving. Â AlterNet, December 6, 2012.Â Â License-plate reading technology’s daw dropping capabilities are already deployed across America.
- Looking Beyond Hurricane Sandy: America’s Failing Telecom Infrastructure. CounterPunch, November 15, 2012.Â Â Infrastructure failures due to Hurricane Sandy expose deeper problems of the communications system.Â
- The Return of Infidelity: Â The Last Frontier of the Culture Wars? Â CounterPunch, November 12, 2012. Â What the extramarital scandals at the CIA and Lockheed Martin tell us about the Christian right’s culture wars.
- How Telecoms Sell Your Private Info to the Highest Bidder. Â AlterNet, November 8, 2012.Â Â Wireless providers are collecting and reselling your usage data — a lot of what they do remains secret.
- Inside the Gulag: Â Rape in America’s Prisons. Â CounterPunch, October 12-14, 2012.
Nearly 210,000 prisoners are sexually abused each year in America’s prisons.
- The Unbelievable Ways Schools Are Now Monitoring Children — Even When They’re Eating. Â AlterNet, October 5, 2012.
The digital tracking and surveillance of school-aged kids is growing.
- Passion, Perversion & Politics: Â The Folsom Street Fair and the 2012 Election. Â CounterPunch, October 5-7, 2012.
Today’s alternative “adult” sex scene is a $50 billion industry.
- Is Privacy Dead?: Â 4 Government and Private Entities Conspiring to Track Everything You Do Online and Off. Â AlterNet, September 10, 2012.
The police-corporate surveillance “complex” is being consolidated, drawing ever-closer corporate tracking and government surveillance.
- The New White Slave Trade: Â The Truth About Sex Trafficking. Â CounterPunch, August 24-26, 2012.
How accurate is the 100,000-plus estimate of sex trafficking in the U.S.?
- How Privacy in America Went Virtually Extinct in Just a Decade. Â AlterNet, August 21, 2012.
Unless we challenge the idea the we should concede our rights to protect our privacy, it’ll get even worse.
- Why Our Phone Companies Are Threatened by Big Telecom Privatization, with Bruce Kushnick. Â AlterNet, July 26, 2012.
Consumers stand to lose big-time if the FCC and its corporate friends get their way.
- The New Police Surveillance State: Â The Rising Price of Political Assembly. Â CounterPunch, July 31, 2012.
The coordinated role of federal and local law enforcement in restricting popular protest.
- ALEC, Tech and the Telecom Wars: Â Killing America’s Telecom Utilities, with Bruce Kushnick. Huffington Post, July 24, 2012.
ALEC’s influence on telecom policy in states throughout the country.
- What Secrets Is Your Cell Phone Company Telling the Government About You? Â AlterNet, July 11, 2012.
Over 1.3 million Americans have been electronically “searched and frisked.”
- Mass Arrests Likely at Political Conventions: Â 6 Historical Perspectives. Â AlterNet, July 5, 2012.
Clinton’s law designates political conventions National Special Security Events, Â a category of state security that virtually dooms the exercise of First Amendment Rights.Â
- Obama’s Broadband Vision vs. Â the Communications Trust, with Bruce Kushnick. Â Huffington Post, June 25, 2012.
To fulfill the promise US Ignite and NPB, we propose eight correctives, enhancements, to the Obama administration’s initative.
- The Other Sex War: Porn, Sex Toys & Consensual Adult Get-Togethers. Â CounterPunch, June 15-17, 2012.
There is another sex war and lots of people are involved.
- 6 Government Surveillance Programs Designed to What What You Do Online. Â AlterNet, June 6, 2012.
If you use Facebook, Twitter, et al., the U.S. security state is watching you.
- Deviant Reflections: A Voice of Sexual Freedom, a review of “Deviations, a Gayle Rubin Reader.” Â The Brooklyn Rail, June 2012.
- America’s Spy State: Â How the Telecoms Sell Out Your Privacy. Â AlterNet, May 29, 2012.
Your “private” information is a public commodity, subject to the dictates of the security state and market opportunists.
- The Terrifying Ways Google is Destroying Your Privacy. Â AlterNet, May 20, 2012.
Google has morphed from “Don’t be evil” to “Join the Borg.”
- Urban Combustion: Â When Morality & Politics Mix, a review of Richard Zacks’ “Island of Vice: Theodore Roosevelt’s Doomed Quest to Clean Up Sin-Loving New York.” Â Br0oklyn Rail, May 2012.
- Paying the Price: Â The Sexual Politics of Poverty. Â CounterPunch, May 11-13, 2012.
Young girls are paying the biggest price for the ongoing economic crisis.
- Another Prohibition: Â Uncovering the Real 1920s, a review of Emily Bernard’s Carl Van Vechten & the Â Harlem Renaissance and Marni Davis’ Jews and Booze. Â Brooklyn Rail, April 2012.
- Enforcing the Culture Wars: Â The State as an Instrument of Sexual Repression. Â CounterPunch, April 13-15, 2012.Â Â The culture wars are being fought out at the state level throughout the country.
- We Are All Luddites: Â Fighting Post-Modern Enclosure. Â CounterPunch, March 30-April 1, 2012.
This year marks the 200th anniversary of the Luddite uprising.
- The Telecom Scammers’ Latest Ploy to Screw You for More Cash. Â AlterNet, March 21, 2012.
Fees, surcharges and taxes make wireless companies tons of money.
- Perversion Is No Longer Perverse, a review of Â Margot Weiss’ Techniques of Pleasure: BDSM and the Circuits of Sexuality. Â Brooklyn Rail, March 2012.
- Santorum & the New Know-Nothings: Â The Revival of American Nativism. Â CounterPunch, March 9, 2012.
Santorum’s appeal is grounded in a deep current of American political history.
- You Are Being Tracked Online: Â Here Are 5 Ways to Protect Your Privacy. Â AlterNet, March 7, 2012.
Your personal data is being gobbled up by online service providers.
- Happy Birthday, Mr. President: Â Sex, Sin & the 2010 Election. Â CounterPunch, January 16, 2012.
What does the latest revelation of JFK’s extramarital affair tell us about the 2012 election?
- WR: The Wanderings of a Lost Soul, a review of Christopher Turner’s Adventures in the Orgasmatron: How the Sexual Revolution Came to America. Â Brooklyn Rail, February 2012.
- History and psychosis took their toll on Wilhelm Reich.
- Telecom Rip-Off: Â The Hidden Fees in Your Wireless and Phone Bills. Â AlterNet, January 16, 2012.
The telecom industry is squeezing more money out of customers without delivering any new or improved service.
- Amorality & False Consciousness: The Mass Psychology of Newt Gingrich. Â CounterPunch, January 27-29, 2012.
Gingrich is the most hypocritical presidential candidate in modern history.
- Sin, Sex & South Carolina: Â Culture Wars in the 2012 Election. Â CounterPunch, January 20-22, 2012.
The seamy side of South Carolina’s sexual culture.
- Least We Forget: Â Mitt Romney, Banker & Pornographer. Â CounterPunch, January 13-15, 2012.
Romney has effectively remade his past; he’s slippery, no one knows who he is or what he stands for.
- Are You Being Tracked?: Â 8 Ways Your Privacy is Being Eroded Online and Off. Â AlterNet, Â December 28, 2011.
A series of ongoing battles delineate the boundary of what, in the digital age, is personal, private life and informatio.
- Social Television Summit: Five Takeaways for Factual TV, Â December 28, 2011.
Top experts and decision-makers recently came to New York to throw light on how the commercial TV business is adapting to the disruptive force called “social television.”
- Shame of the Nation: Â Sexual Violence in America. Â CounterPunch, Â December 23-25, 2011.
The CDC’s report on intimate sexual violence is one scary document.
- State Crime & Villainy: Â Eugenics in America. Â CounterPunch, Â December 16-18, 2011.
For seven decades, states across the country forcefully sterilized 60,000 people to purify the race.
- The Gathering Storm: Austerity & Social Unrest. Â CounterPunch, Â December 9-10, 2011.
Occupy Wall Street has revitalized mass political actions and led to coordinated local police and federal efforts to halt them .
- How I Got Scammed: Â A Schmuck is Born Everyday. Â CounterPunch, Â December 2-4, 2011.
The title speaks for itself.
- Occupy Telecom, Occupy the FCC: Â How the Communications Trust is Harming America’s Future. Â AlterNet, Â November 18, 2011.
The telecom trust’s use of the FCC to raise your rates is an example of how corporate greed impacts each of us .
- Sex, Scandals & Cover-Ups: Â Waiting for the Second Shoe to Fall. Â CounterPunch, Â November 15, 2011.
The latest round of scandals involving Republic presidential candidate Herman Cain and the Penn State’s football-team coaching staff and top university administrators .
- The Telecom Scam: 5 Behemoths That Strangle Innovation and Ensure You Pay Two Much for Bad Service, Â AlterNet. Â November 11 , 2011.
America’s communications system is in crisis, hijacked by a handful of giant companies coddled by the agencies that are suppose to regulate them.
- America’s Illegal Drug Complex: Â Another Capitalist Racket. Â CounterPunch, Â November 11-13, 2011.
American capitalism consists of a constellation of rackets and the illegal drug industry is no exception .
- The Politics of Obesity: The Fattening of the Nation. Â CounterPunch, Â October 28-30, 2011.
The “obesity-industrial complex” wields enormous power and influence not only in Washington, but in every supermarket and on every dinner table .
- “End Regulation Now”: Â Dreaming the Tea Party Nightmare, Â CounterPunch, Â October 28-30, 2011.
The Tea Party call for the end of regulation is a political fiction.
- The Great Fear is Democracy: Â Will Bloomburg Pull the Plug on Occupy Wall Street? Â CounterPunch, Â October 7-9, 2011.
The October 5th mobilization expanded the social base of the OSW movement.
- Are You What You Wear?: Â The Politics of Fashion, Â The Brooklyn Rail, Â October 2011.
A Review of Zoot Suit: Â The Enigmatic Career of an Extreme Style, by Kathy Peiss.
- The 1920s: Â The Good Times?, Â The Brooklyn Rail, Â October 2011.
A Review of Capital of the World: Â A Portrait of New York City in the Roaring Twenties, by David Wallace.
- American Vengeance: Â The Roots of Social Terror. Â CounterPunch, Â September 30-October 1, 2011.
Vengeance haunts 21st Century America like a ghost of times long dead.
- 5 Takeaways from the IPF’s Independent Film Market. Â DocumentaryTelevision, September 25, Â 2011.
On online releasing and transmedia extension.
- Decline or Restructuring?: Welcome to the Post-Modern Gilded Age. Â CounterPunch. Â September 17-18, 2011.
The U.S. is stuck, being restructured from a nation of shared prosperity to one of oligarchy and austerity.
- Least We Forget: Illegal Arrests During Period of National Crisis. Â CounterPunch, September 10-11, 2011.
The U.S. has a long history of overreacting to national crisis and few recall the mass arrests of female “prostitutes” during the First World War.
- The Politics of Fashion. ANDmagazine, Â September Â 2011.
Sometimes fashion crosses the line from a personal style to a social, if not political, statement.
- Drugged Out America: The Failed War on Drugs. Â CounterPunch. Â September 2, 2011 .
Americans are “addicted” to a variety of drugs.
- Christian Theocrats Stealth Plan to Seize Power. ANDmgazine, August 2011,
Watch out for Perry, Bachmann and the Christian Dominionist theocrats.
- One Nation, Under God: Â The World According to Pastor Rich. Â CounterPunch, August 19-20, 2011.
Evangelical Reconstructionists seek to impose “God’s Law” on America … by any means necessary.
- Praying for Votes: Â The New Way to Buy an Election. Â CounterPunch, August 8-10, 2011.
Religion joins as another final refuse of the scoundrel.
- The Pledge Plague: Â The Cheap Price of Virtue. Â ANDmagazine, July 2011.
When all else fails, politicians sign a pledge.
- Remembering the Bonus Army: Where Are Today’s Mass Nonviolent Protests?Â AlterNet, July 27, 2011.
On July 28, 1932, World War I veterans marched on Washington to demand their service bonus. Â Today, in the face of austerity, we see very little protest like that march.
- Questions Plague Bachman: Â Playing the New Political Shell Game. Â ANDmagazine, July 2011.
Congresswoman Michele Backmann (R-MN) is running for president — and running from herself.
- AIDS at 30: Things Will Likely Get Worse for the Most Vulnerable. CounterPunch, July 8-10, 2011.
Over 1 million people are living with AIDS and every year 56,000 Americans become infected with HIV; nearly one out of two newly-infected person is black — under America’s new austerity regime, a new AIDS epidemic may breakout.
- The Smart Phone Con Job: Â Your So-Called 4G Phone Isn’t What Its Cracked Up to Be. AlterNet, June 30, 2011.
4G wireless is supposed to be cutting-edge, super-fast technology better than most home broadband. Â But mobile companies mostly aren’t delivering on the promise.
- America’s Tahrir Square: The Lessons of the Bonus Army. CounterPunch, June 24-26, 2011.
As we recognize the 79th anniversary of the Bonus March of 1932, we should not forget how truly violent things can get, especially how federal troops can be used against American people.
- Shill R Us: Â Organizations That Get AT&T Cash Endorse its Mega-Merger with T-Mobile, AlterNet, June 22, 2011.
A growing number of nonprofits are recipients of AT&T grants; are they violating their IRS nonprofit status by shilling for the company’s interests?
- The Secret $8 Billion Wireless Scam: Â How AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon Game the System, AlterNet, June 20, 2011.
Telecom giants Verizon and AT&T have gamed the system, using regulations designed to foster competition to snatch up ever more of the wireless spectrum.
- Weiner Roast: The Politics of Narcissism. CounterPunch, June 15, 2011.
Rep. Anthony Weiner’s experience has as much to do with the U.S.’s legacy of puritanism as his own true stupidity and the demands of what can only be called “scandal journalism.”
- Pessimism, USA: Living While Holding Your Breath. CounterPunch, June 10-12, 2011.
Americans are growing increasingly pessimistic about the Great Recession; many believe that the country is on the verge of sinking into a second Great Depression.
- AT&T Â and T-Mobile Edge Closer to Merger, What’s In It For Customers?, Very Little, AlterNet, June 9, 2011.
Telecom companies are rigging the game to make bigger profits on mostly-unregulated wireless, even as giant mergers eliminate most competition .
- Arnold’s Decade of Deceit: Â Schwarzenegger’s Sexcapades and the Plight of the GOP,Â CounterPunch, May 27-29, 2011.
The “Sperminator’s” Â extra-marital hanky-panky and the 2012 election .
- Points of Moral Friction: Â When Classes Confront Each Other, Brooklyn Rail, May Â 2011.
A review of The Moral Underground: How Ordinary Americans Subvert an Unfair Economy, by Lisa Dodson.
- The Big Squeeze, AlterNet, May 19, 2011.
Americans are living lives of lowered expectation and intensified financial uncertainty.
- Its Time to Break Up AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, TimeWarner and the Rest of the Telecoms, AlterNet, May 11, 2011.
Today’s telecoms provide overpriced and inferior service, and are systematically overcharging the hapless American Consumer.
- Salons: Â A New Intellectual Culture is Taking Shape Throughout the Country, AlterNet, May 8, 2011.
Amidst the long, drawn-out recovery from the Great Recession, an unprecedented flowing of intellectual life is underway.
- TV Wars, Filmmaker Magazine, Spring 2011.
How the telecommunications trust is shaping the future of the Internet … and indie film.
- The Tea Party Propaganda Factory You Probably Don’t Know About, AlterNet, April 20, 2011.
The documentary production company Citizens United has dedicated itself to furthering the interests of the far-right and the super-rich.
- Lust Murder: Prostitutes as Victims of Throwaway Capitalism, CounterPunch, April 15-17, 2011.
Prostitutes are being murdered throughout the country, what does this say about America?
- A New Dark Ages: Â Sexual Health and the Republican Counter-Revolution, CounterPunch, April 8-10, 2011.
Republican legislators at both the federal and state level are making savage cutbacks in sex-related health programs.
- Cyber Wars 2.0, Brooklyn Rail, April 2011.
A review of The Net Delusion: The Dark Side of Internet Freedom by Evgeny Morozov.
- How Politicians Are Using 911 Emergency Services to Scam Millions of Consumers, with Bruce Kushnick, AlterNet, March 5, 2011.
Raiding 911 funds is an easy way for politicians to scoop up loose cash — far easier than taxing the rich.
- The Partyâ€™s Over: Welcome to the â€œNew Normal,â€ Brooklyn Rail, March 2011.
A review of Winner-Take-All Politics: How Washington Made the Rich Richer — and Turned Its Back on the Middle Class by Jacob Hacker and Paul Pierson.
- Condoms and Skins: America’s Changing Sexual Appetites, CounterPunch, February 25-26, 2011.
Teenagers are more likely to use a condom during sex than an adult, so reveals the 2010 National Survey of Sexual Health and Behavior study, a comprehensive snapshot of current American sexual practice.
- How Does the Drug Industry Get Away with Broadcasting Those Deceptive Ads?, AlterNet, February 23, 2011
The U.S. is one of only two countries in the world that allows Big Pharma to advertise directly to consumers. How did we get here?
- Notorious Pro-Corporate Group ALEC’s Hidden Role in Stoking Class War in Wisconsin and the Rest of America, AlterNet, February 22, 2011.
The American Legislative Executive Council works behind the scenes, using state-legislative stooges to implement the agenda of giant corporations and the super-rich.
- Celebrating Presidents’ Day: Two Centuries of Presidential Sex Scandals, CounterPunch, February 21, 2011.
Presidentsâ€™ Day is a great shopping extravaganza! Everything from soapsuds to high-end SUVs is marked down to lure in shoppers and move products off the store shelves. However, the biggest sale that takes place on Presidentsâ€™ Day is the selling of the presidents.
- The Outrageous Ways Your Phone Company May Be Stealing from You, with Bruce Kushnick, AlterNet, February 9, 2011.
Cramming, slamming and ramming are three of a growing number of scams being perpetrated on unaware telephone, wireless and Internet customers. Think you can easily identify bogus charges on your bill? Good luck.
- Bottoms-Up American History; book review ofÂ Thaddeus Russellâ€™s A Renegade History of the United States, Brooklyn Rail, February 2011.
- America’s Moral Crisis:Â The Return to Social Darwinism, CounterPunch, January 28-30, 2011.
The Great Recession ofÂ 2007-2009 was more than a financial and political crisis.Â At root, it was a moral crisis.Â Â Bernie Madoff and a handful of other racketeers were prosecuted, but all those actively or passively involved in the financial scam were not exposed, let alone legally dealt with.
- Will Only Another Great Depression Save America?, AlterNet, January 20, 2011.
Americans are increasingly aware that the Great American Century is over. A November 2010 Rasmussen poll found that just over one-third (37 percent) of respondents believe America’s best days are still ahead. Sadly, nearly half (47 percent) say the nation’s best days are in the past. They wonder what will come next.
- The Myth of American Primacy: Just How Exceptional is the US?, CounterPunch, January 7-9, 2011.
How exceptional is Americas?Â Â 35 indices compare the U.S.â€™s standing to other nations.Â Sadly, the five categories in which America ranks #1 are: Military Expenditure, Incarceration, Marriage, Cosmetic Procedures and Obesity.
- How AT&T, Verizon and the Telecom Giants Have Captured the Regulator Supposed to Control Them, with Bruce Kushnick, AlterNet, January 8, 2011.
Our telecom industry’s overseer doesn’t seem to have any control to stop the greed. That’s because it’s a puppet of the industry giants.